Technical Assistance for Revision of Subject Standards and Curricula of Society, Social Sciences Subject Discipline
Extension to the REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST published on 08.07.2019
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT SELECTION)
Country: REPUBLIC OF ARMENIA
Project: EDUCATION IMPROVEMENT PROJECT
Loan No.: 8342-AM; Credit No.: 5387-AM
Project ID: P130182
Assignment Title: TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE FOR REVISION OF SUBJECT STANDARDS AND CURRICULA OF SOCIETY, SOCIAL SCIENCES SUBJECT DISCIPLINE
Reference No.: PP lines 1.4.4, Consultancy sheet / IC Selection/
The Republic of Armenia has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Education Improvement Project, and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services.
The consulting services (“the Services”) include provision of technical assistance to a working group on revision of subject standards and curricula of Society, Social Sciences subject discipline for General Secondary Education. The given subject discipline comprises the following subjects: World History, Contemporary History, History of Armenia, Armenian Church History, Social Science. It is expected to hire an Individual Consultant for carrying out the above mentioned assignment. The following activities are to be carried out by the selected Consultant:
1. Get acquainted with recent developments in education system of Armenia.
2. Review the draft National Curriculum;
3. Review the results of the need assessment for reviewing general education state standards and curriculum conducted by the consulting firm in the scope of the EIP.
4. Conduct workshops for WG members: (i) introducing best international practices and latest trends in the development of curriculum, standards and syllabi for history and social science subjects, (ii) providing the working group with necessary materials, literature and information, (iii) discussing the related issues revealed by the need assessment study, (iv) presenting new approaches and methods of teaching history and social science in schools, including assessment system and feedback, research work and other teaching tools designed especially for this subject discipline, considering the new student competencies’ requirements, giving more attention to critical and analytical thinking skills, ensuring alignment of the content of curricula and standards with the new challenges for education prompted by the knowledge economy, etc.,
5. Assist in revision of subject standards and curriculum of the above mentioned discipline through working intensively with the members of the working group, giving practical advices during the review process and providing methodological guidlines special for this subject discipline, suggest changes and give recommendations on its improvement. Particularly, stressing the importance of:
- establishing a coherent and comprehensive program comprising skill-oriented learning objectives and outcomes and incorporating general and grade/subject learning objectives and outcomes, key methodological principles and assessment goals and principles;
- modernization of the content of education;
- new competences and skills including all levels of general education;
- the encouragement, stimulation and development of the alternative forms of organizing the education.
6. Submit reports of the visits detailing activities undertaken, attaching any developed materials.
The Contract period is anticipated within the period of the second half of 2019 and the first half of 2020. The Consultant will accomplish visits to Armenia and will have both field days and home days during the consultancy period.
The Center for Education Projects PIU now invites Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide:
• Letter of Interest
• Detailed CV, including personal data, education, professional experience, work experience (copies of diplomas/certificates).
The required qualifications are:
• General qualification
- Advanced degree in the area of Education, or related field;
- A minimum of 10 years professional experience in the education sphere.
• General experience
- International experience in working with education development projects for at least 7 years;
- Strong analytical and presentation skills;
- Excellent planning and facilitation skills.
• Special experience
- Sufficient experience in the curriculum development;
- Academic track record/publications on the topics of curriculum development;
- Knowledge of the local context (culture, administrative system, government organization), cultural awareness and sensitivity;
- Experience of working in Armenia or other FSU countries would be an advantage.
The evaluation of the Consultant will be carried out as follows:
• General qualification – 30 points
• General experience - 30 points
• Special experience – 40 points
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants [under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants] by World Bank Borrowers [January 2011] (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 11:00 to 13:00 and from 14:00 to 17:00 Monday-Friday except of national holidays.
Applications must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) by October 7, 2019 at 12:00 local time.
“Center for Education Projects” PIU
73 Vratsyan Street, Yerevan, 0070, Armenia
Tel.: (+374-10) 57-56-90 ext. 27
Mr. Vardan Poghosyan, Procurement Officer
For additional information, please contact by the E-mail above.