Technical assistance for providing methodological support on revision of subject standards and curricula for General Secondary Education and development of training modules
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT SELECTION)
Country: REPUBLIC OF ARMENIA
Project: EDUCATION IMPROVEMENT PROJECT
Loan No.: 8342-AM; Credit No.: 5387-AM
Project ID: P130182
Assignment Title: TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE FOR PROVIDING METHODOLOGICAL SUPPORT ON REVISION OF SUBJECT STANDARDS AND CURRICULA FOR GENERAL SECONDARY EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT OF TRAINING MODULES
Reference No.: PP lines 1.4.17, Consultancy sheet / IC Selection/
The Republic of Armenia has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Education Improvement Project, and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services.
The consulting services (“the Services”) include provision of technical assistance for providing methodological support to working groups on revision of subject standards and curricula of Humanities (Languages, Arts, Physical and Personal development) and Social Sciences disciplines and development of training modules. It is expected to hire an Individual Consultant for carrying out the above mentioned assignment. The following activities are to be carried out by the selected Consultant:
1. Get acquainted with recent developments in education system of Armenia.
2. Review the draft National Curriculum;
3. Review the results of the need assessment for reviewing general education state standards and curriculum conducted by the consulting firm in the scope of the EIP.
4. Conduct workshops for WGs members: (i) introducing best international practices and latest trends in the development of education programs, standards and syllabi, (ii) providing the working groups with necessary materials, literature and information, (iii) discussing the problems and issues revealed by the need assessment study, (iv) presenting ways and methods of developing subject curricula by considering the new student competencies’ requirements, giving more attention to critical and analytical thinking skills, ensuring alignment of the content of curricula and standards with the new challenges for education prompted by the knowledge economy, etc.,
5. Provide input to the curriculum review process by advising the appropriate methodology to be applicable locally and in cooperation with the working group members make a decision on its application.
6. The proposed methodology should include:
- common framework, to enable all working groups revise the subject standards and curriculum according to their subject discipline;
- guidelines to ensure horizontal and vertical links between subject outcomes;
- project based learning;
- teaching methodologies for active, collaborative and self-organized learning;
- education programs aimed at the development of students’ high level thinking skills;
- formative and summative assessment models; and,
- ICT based learning.
7. Assist working group members in developing training modules for teachers on revised subject standards and curricula.
8. Submit reports of the visits detailing activities undertaken, attaching any developed materials.
The Contract period is anticipated within the period of the second half of 2019 and the first half of 2020. The Consultant will accomplish visits to Armenia and will have both field days and home days during the consultancy period.
The Center for Education Projects PIU now invites Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide:
• Letter of Interest
• Detailed CV, including personal data, education, professional experience, work experience (copies of diplomas/certificates).
The required qualifications are:
• General qualification
- Advanced degree in the area of Education, or related field;
- A minimum of 10 years professional experience in the education sphere.
• General experience
- International experience in working with education development projects for at least 7 years;
- Strong analytical and presentation skills;
- Excellent planning and facilitation skills.
• Special experience
- Sufficient experience in the curriculum development;
- Academic track record/publications on the topics of curriculum development;
- Knowledge of the local context (culture, administrative system, government organization), cultural awareness and sensitivity;
- Experience of working in Armenia or other FSU countries would be an advantage.
The evaluation of the Consultant will be carried out as follows:
• General qualification – 30 points
• General experience - 30 points
• Special experience – 40 points
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants [under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants] by World Bank Borrowers [January 2011] (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 11:00 to 13:00 and from 14:00 to 17:00 Monday-Friday except of national holidays.
Applications must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) by July 29, 2019; 17:00 /Local time/.
“Center for Education Projects” PIU SA of MoESCS
73 Vratsyan Street, Yerevan, 0070, Armenia
Tel.: (+374-10) 57-56-90 ext. 27
Mr. Vardan Poghosyan, Procurement Officer
For additional information, please contact by the E-mail above.